The Top Sources for Hypnosis
Here is my list of expert hypnosis sources:
1. Wellspring Hypnosis - This site is written by Aisha Kessler, so it is easy to understand. She goes into detail about how hypnosis works and what to expect when you are hypnotized. Other pages on the site explain these issues:
How to Lose Weight with Hypnosis
How to Stop Smoking with Hypnosis
She also delves into the myths about hypnosis and how they are are unfounded.
2. Wikipedia - Wikipedia is a go-to source used by millions for its encyclopedic database of useful facts. The page on hypnosis is well-written and detailed. This source delves into the fascinating history of hypnosis and some of the people to first popularize it, like Franz Mesmer, whose name is the source of the word mesmerize.
3. The Mayo Clinic - This is an American tradition. The Mayo Clinic has a long tradition of expertise in all things related to health. There on-line information is excellent. The Mayo Clinic site on hypnosis outlines how it can be used successfully for hot flashes, behavior change, and pain control.
4. How Stuff Works - As the site says, it explains how stuff works. And with hypnotherapy, this is no exception. It dedicates a full 8 pages to the topic of hypnosis and how it works in the brain and in the mind.
5. WebMD - This site is another leader in providing expert guidance on health related issues. WebMD takes a very favorable view of hypnosis, stating that:
"Hypnosis can help with anxiety, insomnia, phobias, obesity, asthma, and irritable bowel syndrome. Research has also found that it can reduce cancer-related pain, labor pain, nausea, and vomiting. In some cases hypnosis is combined with cognitive therapy or other relaxation and behavioral techniques."
6. Psychology Today - This respected psychological publication features chapters on different aspects of hypnosis. Of special interest are the chapters on hypnosis for fibromyalgia, sleep walking, infertility and memory improvement.
7. New York Times - This 2005 article on hypnosis is a great summary of the benefits of hypnosis and the latest scientific research.
8. BusinessWeek - This article has a more personal approach. It describes how a man stopped drinking using hypnosis. For an inside view, this is a good place to start.
9. American Society of Clinical Hypnosis - This professional association provides an excellent academic definition of hypnosis. Be sure to read the other chapters on myths and medical issues.
10. American Psychological Association - It is nice to know that hypnosis is approved by a venerable organization like the APA. This organization gives guidance about what works to psychotherapists and psychologists across America.